5 Reasons why I love Star Trek

5 Reasons why I love Star Trek


"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." 

Apparently, 50 years ago, this sentence was said on TV for the first time. And even though I wasn't born until about 38 years later, I grew up with this sentence (well, at least the German version of it). When I was little, my father always watched Star Trek (he still watches it like daily) and I often watched it with him. Mostly The Original Series, The Next Generation and Voyager, less often Deep Space Nine and Enterprise. (Unfortunately, that's one of the reasons I didn't like them as much as the others when I was younger. Now, I've seen quite a lot of episodes of Enterprise and learned to like it, and I guess I've seen enough episodes of DS9 to say, that it's alright, too haha. It still is the series I know least about, though.) I wouldn't have called myself a Trekkie until some time ago but I guess there's no denying in that now. There are actually a few reasons why I like Star Trek so much!

Nostalgia

Well, I guess I've already discussed this point. I grew up with TOS, TNG and Voyager and those were some nice childhood memories. I especially love the trashy special effects and fighting scenes of TOS. When I was a kid I thought that was pretty awesome but watching it today is just hilarious! I mean, Kirk's fight with the Gorn??? HAHAHA! Other than that I can proudly say that my first OTP was Tom Paris and B'Elanna Torres. Seriously, I've had some of my first fangirling moments as a child while watching Star Trek without even knowing what a fangirl is haha. 

Diversity

This one is probably pretty obvious, too. The one thing that's always connected to Star Trek is the first interracial kiss on TV between Kirk and Uhura. And besides a black woman being communications officer, there were also Sulu, of Asian descent and Chekov, a Russian! During the cold war! I mean, that probably was a big scandal (not as big as the kiss, though..). In Voyager the captain is female and in DS9 he is black. And in all of the series, there were always actors of different ethnicities involved in the main cast! You have to admit that this is pretty awesome, especially for a show that was created 50 years ago. 

Humaneness 

I wasn't quite sure what to call this point but I'll try to explain what I mean. In all of the Star Trek series, there has always been at least one character who was either non-human or just part human who didn't fully understand humans and their behaviour. For example Spock, Data or Seven of Nine; they all have difficulties interacting with others in the beginning. With time, they learn more and more about humans, they kind of explore human behaviour and human feelings and thus also learn more about themselves. I especially love those characters; Data and Seven of Nine are some of my favourites in the whole Star Trek universe. Their develpment is very fascinating indeed!

Positivity

Star Trek is definitely very positive about the future. Earth does still exist, it's very peaceful there and life is easy because of all those amazing new inventions. I'm not sure, if our future will ever turn out like this, but it would be pretty nice if it did, wouldn't it?

Scientificity + Technology

I can't really prove the scientificity of Star Trek, because I suck in physics, maths, etc. but half a year ago I was at a presentation that explained the science behind Star Wars and the lecturer said, that Star Trek is very logical and scientific (Star Wars on the other hand not so much haha). I think this is very interesting and pretty cool, because it COULD happen one day (not in my life time though I guess /cries). And not only that, but a lot of things that Star Trek predicted years ago actually became real! The flip phone, video calls, tablets, etc etc. Star Trek inspired a lot of these things and I think it will keep inspiring technology.


These are five reasons why I love Star Trek! And there are definitely even more. (for example me being a total nerd haha)
I hope that Star Trek will live on for many more years! Live Long and Prosper, everyone and keep boldly going where no one has gone before! 

Do you love Star Trek, too? What's your favourite series, captain, character,...? I would love to know!

xxx

Comments

Popular Posts